Avacal is seeking 2-6 people for the position of Advocate Council. The Avacal Advocacy Council will address situations when a member of the populace needs help understanding their options should they feel they are being mistreated. The role of the Advocacy Council is to support the populace member in addressing their concerns respectfully to support a healthy culture within Avacal. This support can help members to navigate kingdom laws and policies, listen to concerns, offer advice such as SCA policy and procedure options, and assist with conflict resolution.
One member of the Advocacy Council shall be the Avacal DEI officer.
Responsibilities of the Advocacy role:
- Be willing to be approached during events, meetings or outside SCA formal events to assist with managing interpersonal conflict between populace members in an advisory role.
- Actively listen to the concern of the populace member and validate facts by asking clarifying questions.
- Offer feedback, where appropriate, and, if needed, support the design of scripting to address conflict by focusing on facts and the situation’s impact.
- They may be present with the populace member when they approach the other party in the efforts to resolve the conflict.
Considerations for this position:
- Be considered by others to be approachable, open and willing to engage in dialogue.
- Feels confident to partner with the DEI office, as required.
- Comfortable with conflict, the ability to be objective, listen for facts and assumptions, and offer coaching to address the issue at hand.
- Enhanced interpersonal skills and the ability to manage conflict without creating barriers
- Be non-judgemental and keep the confidence of the people involved
- Receive direction from the Kingdom Seneschal as per the grievance procedure/bullying and harassment policy requirement, etc.
- Dependable access to email and phone.
- Strong ability to build and maintain relationships across all peerages.
- We are skilled at working collaboratively with all leadership across Avacal, including the Crown, Kingdom Seneschal, Baron and Baronesses, all group-level seneschals, etc.
- Attend training to become skilled in Advocacy Training which includes: active listening, effective feedback, and managing conflict.
All officer positions must be paid by members of the SCA.
Please submit your mundane and SCA resume to the Kingdom Seneschal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be received until January 31, 2023.